Before we carried out the Focus Group we first had to have a group conversation on what criteria is needed for it to be successful.
Participants and Location:
7 Participants (all of roughly the same age – sixth formers)
Ask participants who are acquaintances or friends so they don’t feel singled out
Using the Meeting room to give a formal atmosphere
We then had to decide the roles that each of us would have:
Jake – Moderator
Tanisha – Tech
Lauren – Introduction/Debrief/Outro
Martyna – Assistant Moderator
Seating also plays a big part in the dynamic created and what kind of atmosphere is created
We’ve chosen to seat our participants around a circular table to make them feel as comfortable as possible. This way, everyone is included in the interview. Our group will be spread around the table to avoid potential intimidation, which will result in much more honest, accurate answers from our participants.
Brief Step-by-step plan:
- Room setup
- Meet our participants and introduce them to what’s going to happen (brief)
- Take the participants to the meeting room
- Question participants in regards to the song titles alone
- Hand each participant a copy of the lyrics, with time to read
- Followed by questions about the lyrics
- Play the entire song accompanied by the lyrics on paper
- Open questions about the music i.e. have their original perceptions of the song changed after hearing it?
- Repeat with the second song
- Debrief the participants about the interview
- Inform them that they’re entitled to see the finished project later on in the year
We also decided that to get the best answers from our participants we needed to ask open ended question end then had clarification questions to get added details
Open ended and clarification questions:
- Do any of you know the band?What genre do you think the band fall into? Based on your preconceptions of the band, what do you imagine their image to be?
- Have any of you heard the song before?Who do you think the band’s audience are?
- Do you have any existing impressions of the song based on the title alone? What makes you think that?
**Introducing the idea of lyrics on paper, allow them to read through the lyrics**
- Based on the lyrics alone, what do you think the song is about? What makes you think that? Are there any particular words that convey this for you? (Connotations)
- Do you picture the song to have a music video that is more: narrative, performance based or a mixture of both? What makes you think this? Can you elaborate on this point? How do you picture the narrative to play out?
- Based on the lyrics, what do you imagine the general theme of the song to be? Why? What makes you think this?
**play the full song with brief time to collect thoughts**
- Since hearing the song, have your perceptions of the band’s image changed in any way? What makes you think this?
- After hearing the song, what do you now think it’s about? What makes you say this? Why has your view changed since hearing the song?
- Since hearing the song, do you picture it to have a music video that is more: narrative, performance based or a mixture of both? What makes you say this? Why?
- Based on the audio, what do you imagine the general theme of the song to be? Why? What makes you think this?
- After hearing the song, has your perception of the target audience changed? Why? What makes you say this?
**repeat the process for the second song**
**debriefing** ( confidentiality/anonymity, exclusive access to the finished video)